My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://ForAllToEnvy.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tears to my Eyes...



I just finished watching the best show on earth aka Antiques Roadshow . So the show was almost over and I was thinking to myself there was nothing crazy that I really like on this episode, but I spoke to soon. The last feature was an amazing piece of baseball history, check out the full transcript below.

APPRAISER: Well, you've got two wonderful pieces here. You've got a payroll check for Mickey Mantle from 1949 and a team photo of the Independence Yankees of 1949, and it's an original photo that has Mickey Mantle in it, right here at the very end, with his eyes closed. Do you know that this is his very first year in professional baseball?

GUEST: It was my understanding, but I was not positive about that.

APPRAISER: That being an original photo from his very first year, would probably have a value of about $1,000 to $1,500.

GUEST: Oh. Really? Just...

GUEST: Yes.

APPRAISER: However.

GUEST: Ah.

APPRAISER: what you have is a situation where the photo is stuck to the glass, so you're gonna need some restoration there.

GUEST: Okay.

APPRAISER: And it's gonna cost probably at least a few hundred dollars.

GUEST: Okay.

APPRAISER: But I think it would be worth it.

GUEST: Oh, yeah.

APPRAISER: Now, this check really means a lot.

GUEST: Oh.

APPRAISER: 'Cause it's dated August 30, 1949, and it's about three months after he started playing professional baseball.

GUEST: Wow.

APPRAISER: Now, do you know that he was paid $400 for that season?

GUEST: No, I didn't know that.

APPRAISER: If I turn this over... we have on the reverse, his signature, and that is probably one of the earliest documented signatures that we've ever seen on Mickey Mantle.

GUEST: Wow.

APPRAISER: In fact, this is probably one of the very earliest documents we've ever seen on Mickey Mantle alone. It's amazing.

GUEST: Wow.

APPRAISER: Now, value. There are few cancelled checks that have sold by Mickey Mantle,

GUEST: Uh-huh.

APPRAISER: in the $6,000 to $7,000 range.

GUEST: Right. Wow.

APPRAISER: However, this check represents his first year in baseball. I think at auction, this is gonna bring approximately $30,000 to $50,000.

GUEST: Oh! (gasping) Oh, don't film me. (crying) Are you kidding? Just for that?

APPRAISER: Not at all.

GUEST: (crying) I'm sorry. Whew...

APPRAISER: What did you think it was worth?

GUEST: Uh... Well, we... his signature... Maybe $500. I... I don't know. I'm speechless. (laughing) I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cry. Oh, my God. (giggles)

APPRAISER: Do you have any more of these? I'm just curious.

GUEST: Um, there's five of them. There's five checks.

APPRAISER: There's five checks including this one?

GUEST: Yeah.

APPRAISER: Oh, my. All right. Well, that would... You know, there's a diminishing return with, with multiples.

GUEST: Right.

APPRAISER: But, um, I have to tell you, all five of those checks would probably bring in the range of, uh, $150,000 to $200,000, and I might be low at that.

GUEST: Oh. Whoa. (laughing) Oh, my stars. (both laughing) Golly.

No comments: